UPDATE: The online application is now open for the COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program. Applications will be accepted through August 7, 2020.
The COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program helps families with low income in the City of San Diego who experience financial hardship due to COVID-19.
The program will provide one-time payments of up to $4,000 per qualifying household to help pay past-due and/or upcoming rent.
Payment will be made directly to the household’s landlord.
To be eligible for the program, households must meet the following criteria:
- The household has a City of San Diego address.
- Household income in January 2020, was at or below 60 percent of the San Diego Area Median Income.
- The household is NOT currently receiving any rental subsidies.
- The household is NOT currently a tenant of a property owned or managed by the San Diego Housing Commission.
- The household does NOT have savings to meet their financial need.
- The household has eligible immigration status (U.S. citizen/U.S. National, lawful permanent resident/conditional permanent resident, registry immigrant, a refugee/person seeking asylum or granted asylum).
- The household experienced hardship directly related to COVID-19.
All applicants who meet the eligibility requirements will have the opportunity to be selected to receive assistance.
Priority will be given to:
- Families with minor children
- Households with at least one person age 62 or older
Applications will be sorted and assigned numbers at random to identify the applicants who will receive help to pay their rent.
San Diego Housing Commission (SDHC) staff will coordinate with selected applicants and their landlord or property management company to disburse payments. All payments will be made electronically.
SDHC administers this program on behalf of the City of San Diego.
To check the status of your application, please log in to the application portal.
For more information, call (619) 535-6921
For help with your application – Community-Based Organizations
SDHC is working with several community-based organizations to help renters complete and submit their applications, including renters without internet access.
For information about this program, please contact 2-1-1 or call (619) 535-6921.
For help with your application, please contact one of the following organizations:
- Chicano Federation https://www.chicanofederation.org/ (619) 285-5600 x 802
- City Heights Community Development Corporation https://www.cityheightscdc.org/ (619) 259-0343
- ElderHelp of San Diego https://www.elderhelpofsandiego.org/ (858) 380-5341
- Logan Heights Community Development Corporation https://www.loganheightscdc.org/ (619) 858-0563
- The San Diego LGBT Community Center https://thecentersd.org/ (619) 692.2077
- Urban League of San Diego County https://www.sdul.org/ (619) 266-6256
Informational Flyers are available at: